Physician Assistant Applicant Questions

Q: Who do I contact at the board when I have questions?
A: Call 512/305-7030 to reach a member of Pre-Licensure, Registration and Consumer Services (PRC) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time.

Q: How do I apply for licensure?
A: Apply online at:

Q: What is the fee?
A: The application-processing fee is $205.00 that must be submitted along with the completed application. In addition, there is a fee if you are requesting a temporary license.

Q: How does the licensure process work?
A: Click here for an overview of the physician assistant licensure process.

Q: How long does it take to process a license application?
A: Individual application processing time will vary according to the complexity of the application. Factors that increase complexity are “yes” answers to any of the Professionalism questions on the application.

Q: Can I expedite my physician assistant application?
A: At this time, only physician applicants can use the Forms X and Y to expedite an application.  Should this change, notification will be posted.

Q: Do I have to pass a jurisprudence examination?
A. Yes. If you do not pass within three attempts you will be required to appear before the Board to address your inability to pass and allow the Board to evaluate your eligibility for Licensure.

Q: What topics will the Jurisprudence Examination cover?
A: The statute requires that jurisprudence examinations be conducted on the licensing requirements and other laws, rules, or regulations applicable to the physician assistant profession in this state.

Q: What do I study to prepare for the jurisprudence examination?
A: Click here for all of the possible questions and answers. The examination you take will be composed of 50 questions, randomly selected from this group.

Q: How do I register for the Jurisprudence Examination and what is the cost?
A: The jurisprudence examination is given at Pearson VUE test centers located throughout the country.  The fee for the exam is $61, payable directly to Pearson VUE.  Prior to scheduling your examination, you must have received a scheduling permit issued to you by the Board. Pearson VUE may be contacted at or at 888-300-6228. You must pass the jurisprudence examination before your application can be reviewed by a Licensing Analyst.

Q: Where can I find information on the rules regarding licensure requirements?
A: Section 185.4 of the PA Board Rules covers licensure requirements.

Q: I am a foreign medical graduate. Can I get a PA license with my medical degree?
A: No. Texas law requires graduation from an accredited PA program for eligibility.

Q: Does Texas require NCCPA Certification?
A: NCCPA Certification is required for initial licensure in Texas but not for renewal of an active Texas Physician Assistant License.

Q: Can I get a temporary license?
A: Yes, if you have requested and paid for one. The request is made by mailing in the Temporary License Affidavit with the appropriate fee. Once all supporting documents for your online application have been received, and have been reviewed and approved by the appropriate members of Board staff, your application will be considered complete and your name will be added to the list of applicants to be granted permanent licensure at the next Board meeting. To avoid delay, a temporary license will be issued at this point if you requested and paid for one. A confirmation email (or hard copy letter if an email address is not available) will be sent informing you.