Pain Management Clinic Registration

Effective September 1, 2010, a pain management clinic may not operate in Texas without obtaining a certificate from the Texas Medical Board (TMB).
Please visit Chapter 195 for the complete regulations.


To apply for the pain management clinic certification, please download and fill out the form below.

Pain Management Clinic Registration form (PDF)

To withdraw a pending application or cancel certification, please download and fill out the form below.

Pain Management Clinic Certification Withdrawal/Cancellation form (PDF)

Please mail or fax the completed form to the following address:
Texas Medical Board
P.O. Box 2029 MC 240
Austin, TX 78768

(fax) 512-463-9416

Please check the spreadsheet below to confirm registration.

List of Pain Management Clinic Certificates

Pain management clinic registration information is updated regularly:


List of Pain Management Clinics with Disciplinary Action

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a “pain management clinic”?
A pain management clinic is defined in statute and rule as a publicly or privately owned facility for which a majority of patients are issued on a monthly basis, a prescription for opioids, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or carisoprodol, but not including suboxone.

Who needs to register a pain management clinic?
The physician owner/operator of a pain management clinic must register with the TMB. Certificates, once issued, are not transferable or assignable. Only the primary physician owner is required to register with the board if there is more than one physician owner of the clinic. Each clinic requires a separate certificate.

Who does not need to register a pain management clinic?
Regulations regarding the registration and operation of pain management clinics do not apply to the following settings:

Note: The TMB cannot give legal advice. Please consult an attorney if you have questions regarding whether or not your clinic meets one of the exemptions listed above. However, the Board does have inspection authority, and owners of clinics that have not been properly registered can be investigated.

Who can own or operate a pain management clinic?
A pain management clinic may not operate in Texas unless the clinic is owned and operated by a medical director who:

In addition, the owner/operator of a pain management clinic, an employee of the clinic, or a person with whom a clinic contracts for services may not:

A pain management clinic may not be owned wholly or partly by a person who has been convicted of, pled nolo contendere to, or received deferred adjudication for:

The medical director of a pain management clinic must operate the clinic in compliance with Drug Prevention and Control Act, 21 U.S.C.A. 801 et.seq. and the Texas Controlled Substances Act, Chapter 481 of the Texas Health and Safety Code, relating to the prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances.
The medical director of a pain management clinic must, on an annual basis, ensure that all personnel:

How much does a pain management clinic registration cost?
At this time there is no charge to register a pain management clinic.

How often is registration required for pain management clinics?
Certificates will be valid for two years. Registration forms will be mailed 60-90 days prior to the expiration date of a certificate. Certificate holders shall have a 180-day grace period from the expiration date to renew the certificate, however, the owner or operator of the clinic may not continue to operate the clinic while the permit is expired.
Certificates must be timely renewed. If a certificate is not renewed before the expiration of the grace period, the certificate will be automatically cancelled and the owner or operator of the clinic must reapply for original certification.

How do I submit a name change or change of address for my pain management clinic?
A name change or change of address for a registered pain management clinic must be submitted in writing (by mail or fax) to the address below. 

Texas Medical Board
P.O. Box 2029 MC 240
Austin, TX 78768

(fax) 512-463-9416

Pain management clinic certificates are non-transferable by statute, and as such any name change or change of address request should include ownership documentation (SOS filing, DBA, Tax ID information, etc.) to verify that the clinic is the same business with the same primary owner that was approved for the initial certification.  Once that information is received and verified, we will be able to update the location of your pain management clinic and issue an updated certificate to you.

What are the continuing education requirements for pain management clinics?
Per Board Rule 195.4(e), the medical director or owner/operator of the pain management clinic, must on annual basis, ensure all personnel are properly licensed and, if applicable, have the requisite training to include 10 hours of continuing medical education (CME) annually in the area of pain management.  This CME requirement applies to all personnel providing medical services to the patients (including, but not limited to: PAs, x-ray techs, phlebotomists, RNs, MAs, etc.).  Office staff, such as managers, janitors, etc. who do not provide medical services, would not be required to meet the CME requirement, but would need to be listed in response to a pain clinic audit which requires listing all clinic personnel for that clinic. 

Documentation of the completed CME course shall be required to be made available upon request by Board Staff, including, but not limited to, during an on-site audit of the clinic, or during the certificate renewal process.  The Board does have the authority to conduct audits and inspections at clinics to ensure compliance with all requirements and regulations pertaining to registered pain clinics, including audits of CME training as required.

Does my continuing education documentation need to be sent in with my pain management registration forms?
Documentation of CME courses shall be made available to the Board upon request but should not be mailed with the registration. CME audits will be conducted to assure compliance.

Please contact Pre-Licensure, Registration and Consumer Services at (512) 305-7030 if you have any additional questions.